The use of electricity is so much in our everyday life that it can be easy to forget that electrical equipment at home can pose a major threat to our safety. Thus, it becomes very important to know How to Protect your Home from Electrical Disasters.
The main dangers of electricity at home are fire and electric shock, and it can be lethal in the absence of basic safety measures.
While there’s always a danger of sustaining burns in a fire sparked during an electrical disaster, asphyxiation poses an even greater risk. Most deaths in house fire cases are caused by smoke inhalation.
Electric shock is another major electrical hazard at home, and can result in:
- Death through heart failure.
- Nerve damage.
Understanding the inherent dangers that electricity can pose and recognising common electrical hazards at home will go a long way toward ensuring the safety of your family and your property– so here are 5 simple and easy ways to avoid electrical disasters in the home.
Electricity and water can be a deadly combination which results in electrocution. So always keep electrical gadgets away from water and moisture. Also, ensure that the switch of the electrical appliances is turned off when not in use.
If by chance you drop an electrical device into the water while using it, first you need to shut off the power supply at your home’s electrical panel before unplugging the appliance or trying to reuse it. It’ll also be an excellent precautionary measure to get the device checked by a technician to ensure it’s still safe to use once it’s dried out.
Electrical outlet covers somehow reduce electrical disasters to take place at home, especially if you have young children. Keep in check that children don’t leave the Electrical switches on when not in use. These safety devices reduce the risk of electric shock by preventing kids from inserting their fingers or small objects like pins or paper clips into the outlets.
Always do a routine check on outlets for loose plugs that could cause a fire or shocks, and never overload outlets with multiple adaptors and plugs. Never try to break off the third prong of a plug to fit it into a two-pronged socket. Replace two-pronged socket with three-pronged sockets.
When buying light bulbs for your main lighting fixtures or lamps, you need to make sure to get the wattage according to the requirement. A bulb greater than the fixture or lamp’s maximum wattage can overload the wiring thus posing the risk of overheating and an outbreak of fire. For example, if you have a lamp quoted for a maximum of 60 watts, a bulb with above 60 watts will draw more power through the wires than it can safely handle.
Switching off electrical gadgets like TVs and computers when not in use will protect them against overheating or a power surge that could cause a fire or damage the electronics.
Consider using a stabilizer while electrical equipment is switched on – especially if you live in an area with an unstable power supply problem.
Electrical cords can be dangerous if they:
- run under carpets or rugs
- go across the furniture
- are in high-traffic areas
- are nailed to a wall
Inspect your electrical cords regularly to make sure they’re not frayed or damaged in any way. Use extension cords only for temporary purposes. Also, you need to get rid of all the cords and plugs that are worn out or frayed from time to time. Always pull the plug, not the cord. You’ll also need to keep a regular check on switches and sockets for malfunctioning.